By TLA Staff
Here at The Lighting Agency, we take pride in keeping our team and clients up to date on all the latest and best lighting technology.
One of today’s most buzz-worthy topics is Humanistic Lighting—which is the idea that lighting has many non-visual effects on our everyday experiences, including mood, productivity, and even circadian rhythm.
What is Humanistic Lighting?
Simply put, it is “digital and natural lighting that positively impacts human performance, well-being, and experience.” – Acuity Brands
What are the benefits of Humanistic Lighting?
Three key benefits include
- Enhancing Performance. Lighting helps improve alertness, focus and response, and it improves visibility in work environments, so work is more accurate, and we feel safer.
- Promoting Well-Being. The relationship between artificial lighting and human physiology — alertness, sleep, immune function and more — is becoming increasingly clear.
- Enriching Experience. Lighting can help shape the way we see and feel about a space or event. Bright light energizes us. Softer diffused light helps us relax and be intimate. Vivid lighting sets energy, tone, and color.
Humanistic Lighting in schools
In schools, lighting is emerging as a new tool for improving classroom experience — on par with digital tablets and white boards.
Tunable white luminaires allow light to be adjusted to optimal levels for specific classroom activities. Additionally, combining this technology with daylighting and controls offers an optimal experience that harnesses the use of natural lighting.
For example, warm lighting provides a more relaxing environment for individualized tasks, whereas cooler lighting is best suited for increasing energy levels.
Both students and teachers can experience enhanced mood, better focus, heightened alertness, and increased productivity when Humanistic Lighting principles and tunable white luminaires are installed in classrooms.
Tunable White Lighting allows a teacher to “tune” the color of the light to be just right for the activity, impacting student behavior and performance.
Click the links below to view additional video resources from Acuity Brands about humanistic lighting in schools:
- Using Tunable White Lighting to Improve the Learning Environment
- The Benefits of Tunable Classroom Lighting from a School Administrator’s Perspective
- Daylighting Opens Young Minds in Wilson Elementary School
Thanks for reading along and we’ll see you next time!
Be sure to bookmark our EVENTS page where you can access and register for scheduled and ongoing virtual presentations, seminars, and trainings for a full spectrum of lighting topics ranging from controls, to design, to products.
Need pricing info now to meet your deadline? Try our new QUICK QUOTE TOOL designed to help designers stay on budget.
Are you looking for an efficient way to stay current on all things lighting? Subscribe to the TLA monthly newsletter.
The Lighting Agency is a local construction allied company representing the premier lighting and controls manufacturers for Colorado and Southern Wyoming. We strive to be an integral part of the design process through our work with lighting specifiers, contractors, suppliers, and owners to create brilliant yet budget-sensitive results for projects big and small.